Found in 1837, the beautiful city of Atlanta is home to more than 508,650 people. It is filled with many iconic Atlanta landmarks, such as the Georgia Dome, Georgia Aquarium, and the CNN Center. It is the largest city in the state of Georgia and the fifth most populated city in the United States. Atlanta is located in North Georgia near the Chattahoochee River.
In this article, we will explore 11 random facts about Atlanta
1) Atlanta is the center of the state of Georgia
2) Since Atlanta has grown so much over the years, it is now classified as a “Dynamo” City. Dynamos are cities with their own electricity grid rather than relying on a central power plant for generation and supply. Therefore, electricity is generated on-site by electric generators or from renewable sources such as solar and wind energy.
3) Atlanta’s largest airport is Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport which connects to more than 90 domestic and international destinations. It is also a major hub for Delta Air Lines and Northwest Airlines and has been designated one of the world’s top 20 airports based on passenger traffic, cargo volume, commercial service and cargo throughput in 2010/2011 by Airports Council International (ACI).
4) The city is the second entertainment capital of the US after Hollywood – Los Angeles.
5) Tyler Perry Studios is the largest movie studio in the Southeast. The studios include five sound stages and one music stage on a 200-acre campus in southwest Atlanta.
6) The National Black Golf Hall of Fame is located in Atlanta’s Centennial Olympic Park. The facility showcases the history of golf and its place in Georgia’s history and culture. It is open to visitors year-round.
7) The largest annual festival in Atlanta is the Georgia Renaissance Festival which features arts, crafts and food events from October through April.
8) In 2012, global navigation satellite system (GNSS) signals stopped working inside of Georgia’s borders. This occurred because of a high-tension line that runs north-south through the state.
9) The city is home to the Atlanta Hawks, Atlanta Braves, Atlanta Falcons, Atlanta Dream, and Atlanta United FC.
10) The city is also home to the World of Coca-Cola, Georgia Aquarium, and Chick-fil-A Park.
11) ATL Skyline Chili: a regional dish that is very popular in the city of Atlanta. It is composed of ground beef or chicken mixed with spicy tomato sauce made from crushed tomatoes and chili peppers.